Choose the Best Lawn Mower for Your Budget
- 1 Choose the Best Lawn Mower for Your Budget
- 1.1 What Sort of Features Can You Expect to Find Under £100?
- 1.2 Flymo EasiMow 340R Electric Rotary Lawn Mower
- 1.3 Einhell GE-EM 1233 1250W Electric Lawn Mower
- 1.4 Hyundai HYM3200E 32cm Lightweight Rotary Electric Lawnmower
- 1.5 Flymo Hover Vac 260 Electric Hover Lawn Mower
- 1.6 Flymo Chevron 32V Electric Wheeled Lawn Mower
- 1.7 All in All
We all want a neat and luscious lawn that’ll provide the perfect canvas for summertime activities, and in order to achieve this, we need a quality lawn mower that’ll get us good results. Lawn mowers can be so expensive though, especially when you start looking at additional features and capabilities, but no one wants to break the bank.
Thankfully, due to the sheer range of lawn mowers available on the market, there are options to suit every price range and need. You just need to know what to look for, which is where this guide comes in handy.
What Sort of Features Can You Expect to Find Under £100?
It stands to reason that the more expensive the machine, the larger and more complex it will be. With a more budget-friendly type of mower, you don’t need to worry as much about this.
Lawn mowers under £100 come in many different shapes and sizes which means you’ll be spoiled for choice and will no doubt be able to find something to suit both your garden and your own capabilities. Ergonomic, dual-lever handles and lightweight bodies are just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to ensuring your mower can get into those tight spaces.
Whether you’ve got a quaint patch of grass or a more expansive space, you’ll want a model that can reach all areas without straining. If you’re going the corded electric route which is common in the under £100 range, then a 10m cable is an excellent feature to look out for.
You don’t want to be struggling with your mower to get to the outermost corners of your garden, so a corded electric lawn mower with a long cable will be something to look out for without having to compromise on price.
Grass Clipping Collection
Most mowers nowadays come equipped with a method of collecting grass clippings, provided you’re not using it to mulch your lawn, and these usually include a grass box or bag attachment. Many inexpensive lawn mowers come with a similar feature, meaning you can minimise clean-up time and maximise efficiency!
Lawn mowing shouldn’t have to be two chores in one; get your mower to pick up after itself!
Power and Cutting Height
No matter your budget, if you want the perfect lawn with neat grass, you’ll need a mower with sufficient power and customisability to accommodate tall grass and overgrown grass, especially if you’re starting from scratch.
This will mean making sure the lawnmower you choose has enough drive, as well as sharp and sturdy blades for effective grass cutting. Equally important, you’ll also need to look for a mower with adjustable cutting height, so you know you’re never trimming too much or too little.
Flymo EasiMow 340R Electric Rotary Lawn Mower
This mower has the look and feel of a more expensive lawn mower without the higher price tag. With a powerful motor and adjustable cutting height capabilities, you’ll be able to mow your grass without worrying about running out of steam or being left with an uneven finish.
The dual-levered handle aids manoeuvrability and will ensure you’re able to keep control of the mower without exerting too much effort – after all, lawn mowing is already a tiring task, it doesn’t need to be made any harder!
It also has a grass collection box and 34cm cutting width so you can cover a lot of ground quickly without leaving a trail of grass clippings.
- Lightweight at only 12.9kg making pushing that much easier
- Has a rear roller to create an optional striped finish if desired
- 35l grass box with full box indicator so you know when to empty it
- Ideal for small to medium sized lawns so appropriate for most residential needs
- Adjustable handles mean minimal storage space is required
- 10m cable might not be long enough to accommodate larger gardens
- Cutting height settings are quite sensitive and can slip if accidentally bumped
- Assembly instructions may not be the clearest
Einhell GE-EM 1233 1250W Electric Lawn Mower
This electric rotary lawnmower boasts a powerful motor and high torque, making it an efficient and user-friendly model for mowing small gardens and even relatively tough overgrowth, so if you’re new to mowing and have a tangled mess of a lawn to contend with, this could be an excellent choice!
Although cutting wet grass is not usually recommended for safety reasons, the high torque of this machine by Einhell gives you excellent traction even on slippery lawns, minimising risks when compared with other similar lawnmowers (it’s still important to proceed with caution!).
There is a large grass collection attachment, and the rounded shape of the mower deck protrudes past the mower’s wheels, making near-edge mowing much easier.
- High power and torque allow you to maximise your time and mow more smoothly
- Wide wheeled lawnmower for distributing weight more evenly to avoid scarring lawn
- Five different cutting height levels for optimal customisation
- 10-meter power cable for solid reach
- Strong and sharp steel blades for easy grass slicing
- Not the best design for bumpy gardens as cutting heights may not be low enough
- Although lightweight and easy to push (11.1kg), this small weight can lead to lack of control
- You need to apply quite a lot of pressure on the power lever to keep the motor running
Hyundai HYM3200E 32cm Lightweight Rotary Electric Lawnmower
For reliability and durability, Hyundai is a name you can trust! This brand-name mower is a product that provides the perfect low-maintenance grass cutting solution. With a 3-year warranty, you’ve also got nothing to worry about on the off chance that something does go wrong.
Ultra-lightweight at only 8.8kg, this machine is easy to push around without getting too tired, and is very easy to manoeuvre around residential gardens that may have irregular features or shapes.
Although it is a relatively cheap lawn mower, the Hyundai HYM3200E doesn’t feel budget at all, with a rust-proof chassis and sturdy plastic casing.
- 25l grass box capacity for grass collecting on the go
- Lightweight design minimises fatigue and allows you to mow for longer periods with ease
- Foldable handle enables easier storage
- 320mm cutting width ideal for small and medium sized gardens
- Adjustable cutting height from 25mm to 65mm, giving you the perfect finish
- Instruction manual is not the clearest so best judgement will be required
- Cable socket location is easily accessed meaning it can be accidentally dislodged during use
- Not great on uneven ground as cutting height may be too high to cover dips in the lawn
Flymo Hover Vac 260 Electric Hover Lawn Mower
Don’t let the small size and stature of this hover mower fool you, this Flymo design is unbeatable for getting into tight corners and small spaces in your garden, and with a 10m cable, you’ll be able to reach all areas of a small to medium sized garden with no trouble.
Unlike a wheeled lawn mower, this one offers much more flexibility and can be pushed with minimal user effort, making it perfect for saving time and energy.
Not only is it really effective, its design is also aesthetically pleasing and compact, making for easy storage and transport if required.
- Dual-lever handle for easy manoeuvring and control
- Can be wall mounted due to compact size and light weight (8.8kg)
- Four different cutting height levels to suit different types of grass and desired results
- High quality metal cutting blades for making sure grass is trimmed evenly and cleanly
- 15l grass box for clipping collection
- If not handled with enough control, can swing from side to side too easily
- Adjusting the level of the blade can be tricky without the correct tools at hand
- If cutting longer grass, you might find the grass box fills up quite quickly
Flymo Chevron 32V Electric Wheeled Lawn Mower
With a 1200W motor providing plenty of power, this is a solid choice amidst the budget electric models out there. With a lightweight yet durable body and sharp blades, your peace of mind can be assured with this Flymo innovation in tow!
Easy to carry with a foldable handle, this mower is perfect for residential gardens and performs well in various situations, even having a specific rear roller for creating a striped design to suit your personal preferences.
With three cutting height settings and a 10 meter cable, there aren’t many circumstances where this lawnmower wouldn’t do the trick.
- 20mm to 60mm cutting height choices, allowing you to get as close a cut as you’d like
- 29l grass cutting box complete with a visibility window so you know when to empty it
- 32cm cutting width for covering more ground in less time
- Well respected brand-name giving you more confidence about quality and durability
- Lightweight at only 9.5kg, optimising manoeuvrability and ease of pushing
- Manual cutting height adjustment can be difficult and time consuming without proper tools
- Grass box is not the easiest to assemble but once it’s done, it works well
- Narrow shape is not conducive to sharp turns so wider circles may be required when turning
All in All
Hopefully this guide has given you a good idea of some of the best budget-friendly lawn mowers available for under £100 so you’ll be able to get your hands on something that’s both effective and kind to the purse strings!
If we had to narrow down our recommendation to just one top contender, it would have to be the Einhell GE-EM 1233 Electric Lawn Mower for its powerful motor, large grass collection attachment, five grass cutting height settings, and unparalleled shape for near-edge trimming.
With these features putting this model a cut above the rest, the drawbacks it poses seem to fade into the background. With high-quality blades and excellent manouevrability, the Einhell is difficult to beat, and at such a low price point, why not?